I give thanks to God for this mission in Zambia. I'm far from family and friends, and lonely for sure, but the opportunity to serve, with your help, the people of Mbayi is such a blessing.It's only been two months but we are off to an amazing start!
With our help:
- The schoolchildren, who only had a few tattered books, have received a fresh supply of notebooks (2 each!), pencils and pens.
- The men are digging a new well (this one will have a cover) and preparing to plant a field of maize (more info), enough for everyone.
- The women are starting a Vegetable and Poultry business (more info) - the veggies are sprouting, almost ready to transplant, and the chicken building is under construction.
- Children of St. Stephen's on-the-Hill, Mississauga, Ontario have collected shoes for orphans so that during the rainy season, instead of missing school in order to avoid picking up parasites, or painful beetle or dangerous snake bites, they can attend regularly.
- And I have the privilege of teaching the children of Mbayi about Jesus!
There is still so much more to accomplish, but the hope and joy we have brought to the people of this impoverished village deeply touches my heart and brings tears to my eyes.
On Mon., Oct. 11, as my fellow Canadians celebrate Thanksgiving, I'll be giving thanks for all of you. Please pray for all of us here in Mbayi.